Give your 4th of July festivities a healthy spin with these mouth-watering collagen recipes
Whether you want to keep it nice and simple with a classic 4th of July barbeque or have a five-course dinner planned, we’ve got you covered. Not only are these fun collagen recipes nutritious and delicious, but they might even completely change your mind about how you can add collagen into your daily routine.
If you thought that collagen peptides could only be added to smoothies, coffee or beverages - keep reading! Collagen works great in a huge variety of dishes, with many different foods. These simple recipes are versatile and are a great way to get all the benefits of collagen.
What’s all the hype about collagen?
Collagen is the main protein that makes up our body. In fact, it’s the primary component of our skin, hair, nails, tendons, ligaments, and muscles. Collagen makes up 70 to 90% of the cartilage found in our joints. It’s no wonder that it’s often referred to as the “glue” that holds our bodies together.
Collagen is absolutely essential for maintaining the structure of our skin and supporting the health of our joints. However, as we age, our collagen production decreases. We can actually start to produce less collagen starting from the age of 30!
There are many types of collagen that all have different functions and benefits. The main types of collagen that you’re most likely to come across are:
Type I: This one is mostly found in skin, bones, tendons, and organs
Type II: This is mostly present in cartilage (the connective tissue in your ears and nose)
Type III: This type is usually found in the skin and intestinal wall.
Type IV: This one is located in a specific type of connective tissue.
Type V: This fifth type of collagen is found in places like hair and cell surfaces.
Our bodies naturally produce collagen on their own by breaking down dietary protein into amino acids. Including certain kinds of food, such as bone broth and egg whites, in your diet may help to boost collagen production.
You can also add high-quality collagen peptide supplements to your daily routine to help support optimal levels of this protein in your body. Typically, collagen supplements can be purchased in hydrolyzed powder form, also known as collagen peptides.
Why add collagen to these recipes?
Collagen peptides are highly versatile and can be easily used in baking, cooking, or adding to hot and cold beverages. Which makes them a perfect addition to your Fourth of July festivities!
So, if you’re still struggling to come up with some last-minute recipe ideas for Independence Day weekend 2021, look no further. Here’s our list of delicious recipes for you to follow to help you stay on track with your health goals even as you celebrate.
START YOUR DAY RIGHT
Red, White, and Blue Smoothie Bowl
This delicious smoothie bowl has everything you need to get your weekend celebrations off to a healthy start. Topped with antioxidant-rich berries and nuts, this takes it a step further with skin-boosting nutrients.
Ingredients (makes 1 portion):
- 1 packet raspberries
- ⅓ banana (frozen)
- ⅓ cup blueberries (frozen)
- 1 Tbsp. almond butter
1 scoop Primal Collagen
- ½ cup water or milk of choice
- ⅓ cup blueberries, raw (non-frozen), or other berries
- 1 Tbsp. toasted coconut shreds
- 1 Tbsp. sliced almonds or walnuts
- Combine all base ingredients in the blender.
- Blend on high until well mixed (should be thick).
- Add the toppings as you desire.
- Serve and enjoy.
Get Glowing Green Juice
Starting your day with this green juice is a sure way to give your skin a little extra party prep (or detox from the night before). It’s packed with vitamin C-rich fruits and vegetables to help boost collagen production.
Ingredients (makes: 2 servings (12 to 16 oz. each)):
- 1 apple
- 1 orange
- 6 carrots
- 2 to 3 inches of ginger
- 1 cucumber
- ½ lemon (juice the entire ½ lemon)
- 1 handful of spinach
2 scoops Primal Collagen
- Wash and prepare the ingredients.
- Add all ingredients except the collagen through the juicer.
- Before serving the juice in individual glasses, stir in the collagen peptides—stir until dissolved.
- Pour and enjoy!
BBQ Turkey Burgers
Get the grill fired up for these tasty and healthy turkey burgers. Top with your favorite sweet and smoky BBQ sauce for the ultimate summer evening dinner.
Ingredients (yields 4 BBQ Turkey Burgers):
- 1-lb. ground turkey
- 1 medium-size zucchini, grated and squeezed of excess moisture
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup (can swap with honey or agave syrup)
- 1 Tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1 Tbsp. pineapple or mango juice
- 1 Tbsp. coconut flour
- 1 tsp. salt flakes
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
2-4 scoops Primal Collagen
Additional Ingredients for Serving:
- Romaine lettuce
- Purple cabbage, finely sliced
- Your favorite salsa
- Your favorite BBQ Sauce
- Place all your burger ingredients into a medium-size bowl and stir to combine.
- Use your hands to shape the mixture into 4 even-sized burger patties and set aside.
- Place a frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat and coat with a little coconut or olive oil.
- Cook each burger for 2-3 minutes on each side. Repeat until all burgers have been cooked. Set aside to rest.
- To serve, place each burger into a couple of romaine lettuce leaves, top with shaved purple cabbage, followed by a heaping spoonful of your favorite salsa, BBQ sauce, a few chunks of avocado, and if you like, a little extra chili and a sprinkling of fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
Chipotle Lime Chicken
Smoky chipotle and fresh lime - need we say more? This fuss-free chicken recipe is perfect for eating your 4th of July meal outdoors.
- 1 lb. chicken (breast or thighs, with or without skin works fine)
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil + extra for cooking
2 scoops Primal Collagen
- 1 Tbsp. adobo sauce from a can of chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp. freshly grated lime zest
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Creamy Garlic Dressing Ingredients:
- 1 cup coconut yogurt
- 1 clove crushed fresh garlic
1 scoop Primal Collagen
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
Water to thin it out to desired consistency
- Place chicken into a baking dish or Ziploc plastic bag and set aside. Make sure to close the bag properly so that it's sealed!
- Place lime juice, garlic, olive oil, adobo sauce, lime zest, Primal Harvest Collagen, salt, and pepper into a small bowl or jug and stir to combine.
- Pour over the top of your chicken and toss to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- When you're ready to cook, fire up the grill or place a large skillet over medium-high heat and remove chicken from the marinade. (Discard any remaining juices).
- Cook chicken, in a single layer, for 3-5 minutes per side depending on level of thickness. Turn and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Transfer to a plate and allow to rest for 3-5 minutes before slicing and serving.
- If making the garlic cream dressing, simply place all dressing ingredients into a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Add water, 1 teaspoon at a time to reach desired consistency.
Simple Collagen Guacamole
Guacamole is the perfect healthy dip to serve as a snack or a starter. It’s packed with skin-loving healthy fats, vitamin E, and collagen peptides.
Ingredients (makes 3 to 4 servings):
- 2 avocados
- 2 Tbsp. sliced cherry tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. chopped bell pepper
- Juice of ½ lime (or more to taste)
- 2 scoops Primal Collagen
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Wash and prepare the ingredients: Remove avocado skin; pit, slice, and chop tomatoes and bell pepper; half the lime; and layout herbs and spices.
- Add all ingredients to a bowl.
- Mix ingredients together. Use a fork if you like your guac with chunks or mix in a blender if you like it smooth.
- Serve the guacamole with your favorite veggies or corn chips.
REFRESH AND HYDRATE
This fresh blueberry-mint lemonade packs a punch! It’ll help keep you hydrated during your Fourth of July (or other summer) celebrations. The addition of blueberries and collagen peptides also help to support your skin and overall health.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon (or lime) juice
- 2 cups fresh, organic blueberries, plus 8 for garnish
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 6 Tbsp. sugar
- 6 Tbsp. water
- 4 cups sparkling water
2 scoops Primal Collagen
- Combine the fresh lemon or lime juice and blueberries in a large bowl. Tear the mint leaves with your hands and add them to the bowl.
- Muddle gently with a pestle or a muddler and place in the fridge while you prepare the simple syrup.
- Heat the sugar and water in a saucepan over low heat. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Allow to cool in the fridge, about 30 minutes.
- When the simple syrup is cool, press the muddled lemon or lime, blueberry, and mint mixture through a fine sieve into a large pitcher.
- Add the sparkling water and the syrup, starting with half of the syrup and adding more to taste. (You may add less or more syrup depending on the sweetness of your blueberries.)
- Stir to combine.
- To serve, add ice to individual glasses then add the lemonade.
Watermelon Iced Tea
This updated iced tea is exactly what you need on a hot summer's day. Watermelon juice gives this iced tea recipe a fun, summery spin. Served with fresh mint leaves for the perfect, refreshing Fourth of July drink.
Ingredients (4-6 servings):
- 7 black tea bags
- 6 cups hot water
- 1 qt. fresh watermelon juice
4 scoops Primal Collagen
- Fresh mint leaves
- Boil 6 cups of hot water.
- Remove from heat, add tea bags and let steep for 5 minutes.
- Add collagen peptides and stir until fully mixed.
- Add watermelon juice to tea, stir until fully mixed.
- Serve in glasses over ice with fresh mint leaves.
FOR THAT SWEET TOOTH
Chocolate Covered Fruit (Skewers or Dipped Strawberries)
Chocolate and collagen make a perfect pair! This chocolate sauce is indulgent enough to satisfy any sweet tooth (but with a healthy kick thanks to the addition of collagen peptides!). It’s perfect for drizzling over fruit skewers or make chocolate-covered strawberries by dipping the berries in the chocolate batter and cooling to solidify.
- Strawberries, or your favorite fruit and kebab skewers (if making fruit kebabs)
- Melt the chocolate chips (stirring frequently to avoid burning the chocolate)
- Mix 1 Tbsp. of coconut oil into the chocolate until smooth.
- Slowly pour the scoop of collagen into the chocolate batter, stirring in a little bit at a time until fully combined.
- Mix the last Tbsp. of coconut oil into the chocolate until smooth.
- Drizzle the chocolate spread over the fruit kebabs or dip the strawberries in the spread and place them on a plate.
- Let sit in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving to allow the chocolate to solidify.
4th of July Cupcakes
If you ever needed a sign that healthy can also mean delicious, here it is! These delicious berry cupcakes are a healthy addition to any 4th of July breakfast or brunch. Decorate with white vanilla frosting, blueberries, and raspberries for a fun, 4th of July touch!
Ingredients (makes 8 to 10 muffins):
- 1½ cups almond flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Dash salt
3 scoops Primal Collagen
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- ¼ cup raspberries
- ¼ cup blueberries
- ¼ cup roughly-chopped strawberries
- 2 Tbsp. chia seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line with paper or silicone liners a muffin pan or grease (with coconut oil) a muffin tray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients until thoroughly mixed and then pour on top of the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Fold in the berries and chia seeds.
- Pour batter into muffin pan and place the pan into the oven.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out completely clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool before adding frosting of your choice and serving.
Coconut-Collagen "Nice" Cream
Frozen bananas and collagen peptides give this decadent dessert a healthy spin. Serve with blueberries and raspberries for an extra special Independence Day dessert.
Ingredients (yields 10 servings):
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 2 frozen bananas
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 t vanilla extract
3 scoops Primal Collagen
- (Optional: berries of your choice)
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender.
- Blend until bananas are fully blended and pour into an ice cream tray.
- Place the tray into the freezer.
- Freeze for up to six hours.
- Serve on its own or top with berries of your choice.
DO YOU HAVE ANY FAVORITE HEALTHY FOURTH OF JULY RECIPE IDEAS FOR 2021? SHARE AWAY IN THE COMMENTS BELOW OR FOLLOW AND TAG US ON OUR SOCIAL CHANNELS. WE CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
IT'S ABOUT YOU. IT'S ABOUT YOUR HEALTH. IT'S ABOUT RECONNECTING.